The answer of Olga Donskikh, Senior Consultant in the Immigration Department:
A frequent question that new residents ask us is “When will I be able to obtain Andorran nationality?”
First of all, it must be said that in all cases the obtaining of the nationality (“acquired nationality”) is a long process and implies the express waiver of the current nationality/ies of the applicant. In addition, an examination of the Catalan language, history and geography of Andorra is mandatory for adults.
As soon as the person meets the requirements, the application for citizenship is presented and a provisional passport is granted (not nationality). From this moment the applicant has 5 years to pass the exam and present the documents of renunciation to his current nationality in order to obtain the Andorran nationality and the definitive passport.
In all cases to apply for citizenship it is essential to be a legal and effective resident in Andorra at the time of filing the application.
So, who is entitled to Andorran nationality according to the Qualified Law of the nationality of October 5, 1995 with its successive modifications? Here we offer a small summary.
Adults (“acquired nationality”):
– Person born abroad, resident in Andorra of an Andorran father or mother born also abroad (Art.9.1);
– Person born abroad with 15 years of residence in Andorra and of Andorran grandfather (Art. 9.2);
– Foreign person with 3 years of residence in Andorra who contracts the marriage with
an Andorran person (3 years before or after the celebration of marriage or the
combination of before and after) (Article 10);
– Foreign person who proves 20 years of residence in Andorra (Art. 11);
– Foreigner who proves 10 years of residence in Andorra and has completed compulsory schooling in Andorra (from 6 to 16 years old) (Art. 11.2);
Minors (“nationality of origin”):
– Child born in Andorra of an Andorran father or mother (Art. 1);
– Child born abroad of an Andorran father or mother born in Andorra (Art. 2);
– Child under the age of 14 adopted by an Andorran person or a foreigner and resident in Andorra (10 years of minimum residence of the adopter, if the adopter has not reached
10 years of residence, the minor will obtain the provisional passport) (Art. 2 and 8.1, 8.2);
– Child born in Andorra of father or mother born in Andorra, resident and without Andorran nationality (Article 3);
– Child born in Andorra of foreign parents and residents in Andorra. At least one of the parents must be a resident for at least 10 years after the baby is born. If neither parent has reached 10 years of residence, the minor will obtain the provisional passport. (Art. 6.)
– If the child was born abroad accidentally, proving that fact and fulfilling the requirements described above, he also has the right to nationality if the mother is a resident. The application must be submitted during the first year of the baby’s life. (Art. 35).